Bonjour, mes amis! I know, I know, I've been gone for a minute. Don't think that I haven't still been cooking my version of healthier foods. No, I've just been lazy lately about posting my creations on here.
Last weekend I decided to dive into the art of french cooking. Well, as close as I can get anyway...
I love love love quiche, but I don't love all the calories that come from the homemade pie crust, the cheese, the butter, the cream, etc etc...
I decided to jump on google to see if there was a recipe online for a crustless quiche. Low and behold I found a couple but I couldn't find any heart healthy versions. So you know what I did, I made my own. With that being said, I realized this morning that this blog is SUPPOSED to be celebrating recipes from around the world. It seems that hubby and I apparently spend a lot of time in Mexico and Italy, however, so it is now time to branch out to the wonderful country of France.
And yes, I do realize that my version is not an actual authentic French recipe, but this is my creation and it turned out good. Let me know if you decide to try it. I think you'll enjoy it! I'm going to make another one this weekend with turkey sausage and more veggies. I'll let you know how it comes out.
1 cup liquid egg whites
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup Kraft fat free shredded cheddar
1 BabyBel Light Cheese round - shredded
1/2 cup onions-chopped
1 clove garlic - minced
6 slices of turkey bacon - chopped
10 oz. bag of frozen spinach - thawed & drained
salt & pepper - to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Microwave spinach according to package directions, drain excess liquid and set aside.
- Chop onions & turkey bacon, set aside.
- In medium-sized bowl, mix eggs, egg whites, and skim milk. Whisk until well mixed.
- Add salt, pepper, onions, garlic, turkey bacon and cheese to mixture. Stir well until combined.
- Add drained spinach. Stir well.
- Spray pie plate with cooking spray and gently pour egg mixture into pan.
- Place in oven and bake for 40-50 minutes or until center of quiche is firm.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Cut and enjoy.
Our quiche made 6 servings.
According to SparkPeople, that came out to be 121.4 calories/serving!
An excellent source of protein and a quick and easy breakfast for the rest of the week. I just placed the extra servings in a container in the refrigerator. On my protein days (Mon, Wed, Fri), I took one out and microwaved it to have a healthy and quick breakfast with a side of fruit. Can't get any better (or easier) than that.
Hope you enjoy!