Kesha's Kitchen Kreations

Kesha's Kitchen Kreations

Saturday, September 24, 2011

KITCHEN KREATION: Crustless Spinach & Bacon Quiche



Bonjour, mes amis! I know, I know, I've been gone for a minute. Don't think that I haven't still been cooking my version of healthier foods.  No, I've just been lazy lately about posting my creations on here.

Last weekend I decided to dive into the art of french cooking.  Well, as close as I can get anyway...
I  love love love quiche, but I don't love all the calories that come from the homemade pie crust, the cheese, the butter, the cream, etc etc...
I decided to jump on google to see if there was a recipe online for a crustless quiche. Low and behold I found a couple but I couldn't find any heart healthy versions. So you know what I did, I made my own. With that being said, I realized this morning that this blog is SUPPOSED to be celebrating recipes from around the world. It seems that hubby and I apparently spend a lot of time in Mexico and Italy, however, so it is now time to branch out to the wonderful country of France.

And yes, I do realize that my version is not an actual authentic French recipe, but this is my creation and it turned out good. Let me know if you decide to try it. I think you'll enjoy it!  I'm going to make another one this weekend with turkey sausage and more veggies. I'll let you know how it comes out.

INGREDIENTS
2 eggs
1 cup liquid egg whites
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup Kraft fat free shredded cheddar
1 BabyBel Light Cheese round - shredded
1/2 cup onions-chopped
1 clove garlic - minced
6 slices of turkey bacon - chopped
10 oz. bag of frozen spinach - thawed & drained
salt & pepper - to taste
cooking spray

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
  1. Microwave spinach according to package directions, drain excess liquid and set aside.
  2. Chop onions & turkey bacon, set aside.
  3. In medium-sized bowl, mix eggs, egg whites, and skim milk. Whisk until well mixed.
  4. Add salt, pepper, onions, garlic, turkey bacon and cheese to mixture. Stir well until combined.
  5. Add drained spinach. Stir well.
  6. Spray pie plate with cooking spray and gently pour egg mixture into pan.
  7. Place in oven and bake for 40-50 minutes or until center of quiche is firm.
  8. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
  9. Cut and enjoy.

Our quiche made 6 servings.
According to SparkPeople, that came out to be 121.4 calories/serving!
An excellent source of protein and a quick and easy breakfast for the rest of the week. I just placed the extra servings in a container in the refrigerator. On my protein days (Mon, Wed, Fri), I took one out and microwaved it to have a healthy and quick breakfast with a side of fruit.  Can't get any better (or easier) than that.

Hope you enjoy!

2 comments:

anthony stemke said...

Although you greatly reduced the fat, I think this is still a wonderful quiche. If it is not truly Freanch who cares? as long as it tastes good.
I've made many quiches the old way, but the serving sizes were always small.
Thanks for sharing this.

Sh Sh Sh Let the Baby Sleep
Trouble on Earth Day
Author Kathy Stemke (my spouse)

~K.B.~ said...

Thanks, Anthony! It came out really good. I just made one tonight for this week with turkey sausage instead of the turkey bacon. I actually think I like the taste of the sausage a little better. I wish I had some mushrooms to put in it, but I had to go with what was already in the kitchen. Hope all is well on your end!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog List