Kesha's Kitchen Kreations

Kesha's Kitchen Kreations

Sunday, September 25, 2011

KITCHEN KREATION: German Sweet & Sour Red Cabbage

Good evening, blogger family! Hope everyone is having a splendid weekend. 



For tonight's menu, I decided to try my first German recipe.  The dental director on my job brought some red cabbage for lunch last week and she let me try it.  Oh my goodness, it was sooo good.  She didn't know everything that her husband had put in it except that it had some balsamic vinegar, onions, and sugar.  I went online and found a couple of recipes that looked promising.  I finally decided to try the German Sweet & Sour Red Cabbage recipe from SparkPeople combined with a more traditional one from SimplyRecipes.com. This is my first time trying to cook any kind of German food, but all things considered, I think I did pretty well.  The cabbage came out really tender and flavorful.  I actually can't wait to see how it tastes tomorrow after it has marinated overnight.

I'm going to try something new with my blog posting in an attempt to show you step by step how I made this delicious side dish.  Let me know if you guys like the new format, ok?

INGREDIENTS
1 medium red cabbage - washed & sliced thinly
1 medium yellow onion - chopped
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp I Can't Believe It's Not Butter - light
1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 apple - cored, peeled, and sliced thinly (I used a Honeycrisp apple
dash salt - optional
dash black pepper - optional
2 Tbsp Splenda - brown sugar blend (equivalent to 1/4 cup sugar)

DIRECTIONS
1.  In large skillet and over medium heat, heat olive oil and saute onions until tender. 
(Sorry I forgot to take a picture of the 1st step.)

2.  Add chopped apple slices.

  
3.  Add I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, salt, & pepper. Stir well to combine.


4.  Add washed and chopped red cabbage to mix.


5.  Cover and allow to start wilting. 

6.  In separate container or measuring cup, combine balsamic vinegar and sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
7.  When cabbage is tender, add vinegar and sugar mixture to pot.  Stir well and cover. Allow to steam for approximately 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

8.  Reduce heat and allow to cook for approximately 15 more minutes.

9.  Serve and enjoy!


This recipe was pretty easy and came out great.  According to my sparkpeople recipe calculator, for 6 servings, this side dish weighs in at 123 calories per serving.  If you leave out the olive oil and use cooking spray, the calories drop down to about 103 calories per serving.  I'll probably do that next time.

So anyway, folks, here was my dinner for tonight.  For my first foray into German cooking, I have to say I'm pretty pleased.  In his horrible German accent, hubby said, "Dat vas good, ja!" LOL

Hope you enjoy!




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog List