I have been having the most insane craving for smothered cabbage lately. So a couple of nights ago, I decided to try a healthier version. The hubby and I are on this new eating plan where I am strictly limiting our carbs, sugar and salt intake and amping up our water, protein, fruits, & vegetables. So far so good. Hubby just told me this morning that he thinks he can get used to this new way of eating. I'm sure he can since he's been losing like crazy. I think the current tally is hubby: negative 7 pounds, me: negative 4. Dang it! (Readers, y'all will quickly learn that I am one of the most competitive people I know. I blame it on the type A personality that I have in abundance! LOL)
For me, since I am such a carbaholic, limiting the amount of carbs per day to just once per day has been the hardest thing for me. I am really liking how we are eating more fruits and veggies though so of course that is always a good thing. I am also discovering my insane love of fresh mango. Who knew mangoes were so doggoned delicious??? I'm sitting here salivating like one of Pavlov's dogs just thinking about them. Yumm!!!
So anyway, back to the cabbage. LOL!
I switched my standard pork polish sausage for turkey polish sausage, severely reduced the salt amount & added some Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb seasoning. I also switched out the butter for "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" and in a much smaller amount considering the amount of cabbage that was in my skillet. All in all, I have to say it turned out pretty good. It wasn't as insanely fattening as my normal cabbage, nor was it as seasoned as I'm used to, but like hubby said, I think I can get used to it. So anyway, here is the new recipe. Hope you enjoy!
3-4 lb. cabbage
1 package Louis Rich Turkey Polish Sausage
1/2 cup chopped onion (more or less based on your preference)
1 clove minced garlic
1 Tbsp "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" Light
1/2 tsp Tony Cachere's Creole Seasoning (more or less to taste, based on your preference)
2-3 tsp Mrs. Dash seasoning - Garlic & Herb (again, according to your taste)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
Butter flavored cooking spray
1/2 cup water
- Chop cabbage into smaller strips, rinse, & drain.
- Chop turkey polish sausage into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat large skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
- Spray skillet with cooking spray.
- When heated, saute onion until tender.
- Add garlic, saute until fragrant, stirring frequently to avoid burning the garlic.
- Add turkey polish sausage to mixture. May want to add more cooking spray since it will not produce any oil like the regular polish sausage.
- When turkey polish sausage has cooked, add cabbage to skillet. Stir well to mix.
- Add water to skillet.
- Cover skillet with lid and turn heat down to low.
- Allow to "smother" for 10-20 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure you are not scorching the bottom pieces and so the top pieces are touched by the yummy garlic, onion, and meat mixture.
- When cabbage is tender, add "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter", Tony Cachere's Creole Seasoning, Mrs. Dash seasoning, black and red pepper. Stir well.
- Return lid to skillet and allow to steam for 5-10 more minutes. Cabbage should be tender. Be sure to keep checking. You want your cabbage tender, not mushy. Adjust time according to your preference.