So, I was in the mood to fix something in honor of St. Patrick's Day for the hubby and his crew on the job and I decided to find a recipe for Key Lime Pie cupcakes. I wanted something green and pretty, sweet and tart. I found this recipe online at allrecipes.com and adapted it a little bit to make it my own. I think next time I might leave the orange juice out of it so that it can be just a little bit more tart and the batter won't be quite as soupy. For my first try though, this came out to be a really delicious and moist cupcake. The designated kitchen lab rats all gave them two thumbs up and raved about how good they were.
Sorry for the not-so good picture this time. I forgot to take pictures of the pretty ones before he took them to his friends, so here are some pictures of the ones that stayed at home with us because they didn't make the cut for public consumption. LOL! Hope you enjoy!
- 1 box Lemon Supreme Cake Mix
- 1 box Lime Flavored Gelatin (3 oz)
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup orange juice
- 10 oz. of PHILADELPHIA Original Cooking Crème (Original flavor)
- Green sugar crystals (optional)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz. Cream Cheese
- 2 Tbsp butter – melted
- 4 Tbsp milk
- 2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp vanilla flavoring
- 4 oz Cool Whip (½ of 8 oz container)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, add in the first 8 ingredients.
3. Mix until all of the ingredients are combined.
4. Line cupcake pans with cupcake baking papers.
5. Spoon the batter into the cupcake baking papers (about 3/4 full)
6. Place the cupcakes into the oven for 23-25 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
7. When cupcakes are done, remove them from the pan and place them on a baking sheet.
8. Allow cupcakes to completely cool.
9. Garnish with Cream Cheese Frosting and green sugar crystals.