Kesha's Kitchen Kreations

Kesha's Kitchen Kreations

Sunday, May 29, 2011

KITCHEN KREATION: Okra & Sausage Stew


As promised from yesterday's post, today's recipe is a healthier version of a Southern Classic. I decided to experiment with okra tonight by making an okra & turkey sausage "stew". I actually combined a couple of recipes found on YouTube. The first came from Ateyaa titled, Okra, Shrimp, Sausage, Fresh & Dried Shrimp, & Crab. Click on the link to watch her video. She had a LOT of stuff going on in her version and since the hubby doesn't like seafood, I decided to omit all of that. The other recipe came from a southern cooks cookbook with a similar recipe which didn't have the meat but suggested to add the corn and stewed tomatoes. What resulted was a delicious blend that I made a little healthier by adding smoked turkey sausage instead of smoked pork sausage. I also used "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light" and cooking spray instead of the butter and oil. As stated in the previous blog, I am not a fan of okra or tomatoes, but I am finding myself experimenting more and more with new recipes and new vegetables. Even I liked this one. Try it out and let me know what you think.

A friend of mine from grade school saw the picture and thought that it looked kind of like a thick gumbo to him. That got me thinking again... I bet this would be really good over some rice and made a little spicier with some cayenne pepper. Sounds like a plan for the leftovers. Hubby and I just ate it straight like this in a bowl and man was it good. Hope you like it!


INGREDIENTS

2 packages frozen cut okra (12 oz)
1 package frozen kernal corn
1 medium onion - chopped
1 can stewed tomatoes
8 oz can tomato paste
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light
1 Tbsp flour (optional)
1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 package Smoked Turkey Sausage
cooking spray


DIRECTIONS
  1. Melt 2 tablespoons of light butter in large skillet.
  2. Add okra, onions, and vinegar to skillet. Cover and saute over medium heat for approximately 20-30 minutes stirring frequently until okra is no longer slimy.
  3. Add corn and tomatoes to mixture. Stir well.
  4. Add salt, pepper, and flour. Stir well to blend seasonings. The flour will thicken the sauce.
  5. Reduce heat, cover skillet, and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  6. Spray another skillet with cooking spray.
  7. Chop smoked turkey sausage and saute until browned lightly.
  8. Add turkey sausage to okra mixture and mix well.
  9. Can eat plain or over rice.

1 comment:

anthony stemke said...

A nice recipe, I make something similar to this from time to time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog List