Kesha's Kitchen Kreations

Kesha's Kitchen Kreations

Saturday, October 8, 2011

KITCHEN KREATION: Crockpot Zuppa Toscana Soup


So this weekend I was in the mood for my favorite soup from the Olive Garden, the wonderful Zuppa Toscana soup.  The only problem was that this was one of our few lazy weekends and neither the hubby nor I felt like actually leaving the house. I had gone to the grocery store on Friday so I already had everything that I needed to make this copycat version of the soup. I combined a couple of recipes, the original clone from CopyKat recipes and a healthier version found on my favorite SparkPeople site. I added a few more seasonings than could be found at either site and made my own version. This is a really good soup, hearty and healthy weighing in at an awesome 154 calories/serving! Not bad for a version that has more potatoes and more veggies.  Hope you try it and let me know what you think.

INGREDIENTS
1 pound turkey sausage - browned & drained
3 medium-sized russet potatoes - washed and chopped
1 bunch fresh kale - (approx. 2 cups) - washed and chopped
2 cups fat free low sodium Chicken Broth
4 cups water
1 cup fat free half and half
3 cloves garlic - minced
1 cup onion - chopped
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp smoked paprika

DIRECTIONS
1.  Thoroughly wash your potatoes.


2.  Cut potatoes in half and then slice thinly.

 

3.  Meanwhile, in medium sized skillet, brown turkey sausage. 
If you have to use the turkey sausage links, remove the casings first, then brown.


4.  Add potatoes and onions to crock pot.

5.  Rinse 1 bunch of fresh kale.


6.  Chop thinly and add kale to crock pot.


7.  After sausage has browned, remove from heat and set aside. Drain if necessary.

8.  Add browned turkey sausage to crock pot.

 9.  Add minced garlic to crock pot.


10.  Add 2 cups of  low fat/low sodium chicken broth.


11.  Add 4 cups of water.


12.  Add 1/2 cup of fat free half and half.
13. Add salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and paprika to crock pot. Stir well.

14.  Cook on high temperature for 4 hours or until potatoes are tender or cook on low for 8 hours.

Enjoy!




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog List