Kesha's Kitchen Kreations

Kesha's Kitchen Kreations

Sunday, October 9, 2011

KITCHEN KREATION: Southern Meatloaf


Who doesn't love a delicious juicy slice of meatloaf? I mean, seriously, it's one of those memories of the ultimate comfort food to me. I don't know about you guys, but as a child, we didn't have meatloaf that often, so when we did it was kind of a treat. The leftovers the next day were always even better than the 1st night. I'm sitting here thinking about how good our meatloaf is going to be tomorrow after it's sat overnight in the fridge! Mmm mmm...

So anyway, for tonight's Sunday dinner, I made a Southern-style meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and peas and carrots. It was so good, I think I surprised myself with this one.  I'm pretty sure it's not all that healthy since I didn't really try to adapt any recipes or anything. I had to rely on my imagination and my childhood memories of watching my mama make her delicious meatloaf.  I have to admit, I think my version has her's beat.
Progress indeed...

INGREDIENTS
1 pound meatloaf mix (beef, veal, and pork - next time I will get 2 packages for 2 pounds)
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used Progresso's Garlic & Herb - for 2 pounds of meat, use 1 cup)
1 egg - beaten (again, for 2 pounds, use 2 eggs)
1/2 cup onions - chopped
1/2 cup onion/bell pepper mix (found in the frozen vegetable section)- chopped
2 cloves garlic - minced
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp Italian seasoning

Meatloaf Glaze
1/2 cup ketchup
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar

DIRECTIONS

1.  I used the meatloaf mix found at my local grocer. It consists of ground beef, veal, and pork. It was a little shy of a pound of meat so next time I will use 2 packages and adjust my seasonings accordingly.


2.  Beat 1 egg in small bowl.


3.  Measure 1/2 cup bread crumbs.


4.  In medium-sized bowl, place meat, beaten egg, and bread crumbs.


5.  Add 1 Tbsp minced garlic (approximately 3 cloves).


6.  Add 1/2 cup chopped onion.


7.  Add 1/2 cup chopped onion/bell pepper mix.


8.  Add 1/2 tsp salt.


9.  Add 1 tsp black pepper.



10.  Add 1 tsp smoked paprika.


11.  Add 2 tsp Italian seasoning.



12. Add 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce.




13.  Mix well. Works best to use hands but I have issues with having raw meat under my nails (hence the use of gloves)...


14.  I lined my baking dish with foil (I think the size is a 9x5 loaf pan). 
This makes clean up a lot easier!
Pack the meat in the baking dish forming it into a loaf.




Now to make the glaze!

1.  Add 1/2 cup ketchup to small bowl. (Feel free to use tomato sauce, I just prefer my meatloaf glaze sweeter.)


2.  Add 2 Tbsp brown sugar.





3.  Add 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar. Mix well.


4.  Add half of glaze mixture to top of meat (approximately 3 Tbsp).


5.  Smooth over entire loaf, cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.


6.  After 30 minutes, remove foil cover, place remaining amount of glaze and bake uncovered for an additional 30 minutes.

7.  Let sit for 10 minutes, cut and enjoy!











No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog List