MIDWEEK FEAST: Chicken & Vegetable Stir-Fry with Rice
So today, I was in the mood to try my hand at making my own Chinese food again. So, off to Youtube I went to search for the perfect recipe. I found one with my girl Lila from AsianCookingMadeEasy. I actually combined her Chicken and Vegetable Stir-Fry recipe with her Chicken in Garlic Sauce recipe. Let me tell you, it came out really good. You should try it. Here’s my recipe.
2-3 chicken breasts
Frozen stir-fry vegetables
½ medium onion
½ tsp garlic salt
2 tsp cornstarch
4 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp cooking oil
1 cup chicken broth
4 Tbsp soy sauce
4 Tbsp oyster sauce
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp cornstarch with water (thickener)
- Remove all of the fat from the chicken and then cut each breast into 1 inch pieces.
- Sprinkle these pieces with the garlic salt and cornstarch and mix it in thoroughly. Then set the pieces aside while preparing the other ingredients.
- In a large cup, mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce and set this mixture aside.
- In a small cup, make the thickener by mixing the cornstarch with a little water just until it dissolves and set it aside.
- Heat a non stick wok on high. Once the wok is hot add the cooking oil and let it get hot.
- When the oil is hot, add the onions and garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes to soften.
- Add the chicken and stir fry it until it browns, about 6 to 8 minutes. To help the chicken brown quickly, let it sit for about 2 minutes on one side, then stir it, flipping it over. Let it sit again for another 2 minutes before stirring once more.
- Once the chicken browns, add in the vegetables and saute until tender.
- Add the sauce mixture. Mix everything up together and let the sauce come to a boil.
- Once the sauce boils, add in the cornstarch mixture and stir until it becomes thick.
- Then remove it from the heat and serve. This is great with both fried rice and white steamed rice.
- Eat and enjoy!