Kesha's Kitchen Kreations

Kesha's Kitchen Kreations

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Midweek Feast: Taste of Asia night


So today I was sitting at work wondering what we were going to have for dinner. Since I've been on this Asian kick lately, I thought I would try to make some Chinese at home.
On tonight's menu: Pork lo mein with vegetables and egg rolls.
Both recipes came out absolutely delicious. The only problem is that since I am still recovering health wise from this summer, by the time I got done actually cooking, I was too tired to eat. The hubby assures me that everything came out great. He's actually (literally) in the kitchen getting seconds as I am typing this. LOL!!!
For the egg rolls, I combined a couple of recipes obtained on YouTube from different people that I subscribe to. So, here you go. I hope that you enjoy.

Pork Egg Rolls
Package of egg roll wrappers (found at your local grocery store in the produce section)
Package of coleslaw mix (I used 1/2 of the package since it was just the two of us)
Half pound of ground pork
1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
1 1/2 Tbs. stir fry oil
3/4 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 Tbs. soy sauce
1/4 cup Hoisin sauce
couple of dashes of cayenne pepper
couple of dashes of paprika
1 tsp cornstarch
2 Tbs. water

1. Mix together the coleslaw mix with stir fry oil, garlic salt, ground ginger, cayenne pepper, paprika and onions. Stir well.
2. Microwave mixture on high for 4-5 minutes. Stir again.
3. Add raw pork, Hoisin sauce and soy sauce to cabbage mixture. Stir well until everything is well integrated.
4. Mix the cornstarch and water in a small bowl until it forms a slurry with no lumps present. This acts as the "glue" to hold your egg roll together.
5. Wrap the egg roll.
- Place egg roll wrapper at diagonal with corner facing you.
- Place approximately 2 Tbs of pork/cabbage mixture on wrapper.
- Fold the bottom corner over mixture and roll tightly.
- Fold over the left, then the right corners.
- Wet your finger with the cornstarch "glue" and apply it to the top corner of the wrapper.
- Continue rolling the egg roll until complete.
- Set it aside with the egg roll sitting on the seam of the wrapper, sealed side down.
6. Place carefully in cooking oil and cook until golden brown. Oil should be 375-390 degrees.
7. After done, egg rolls will float to the top of the oil. Remove from the grease and set on a plate covered with paper towels to dry.
8. Enjoy!

For the pork lo mein, it came out really good, but it wasn't quite the taste that I was looking for. So, I will continue on my search for a fabulous lo mein recipe.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog List