Kesha's Kitchen Kreations

Kesha's Kitchen Kreations

Sunday, January 23, 2011

KITCHEN KREATION: Homemade Chili with Beans


On this cold and blustery winter night, I thought I would prepare a delicious pot of homemade chili. I didn't know what category to put this recipe in, so I looked up the definition of chili on Wikipedia. I know, I know, just wanted to broaden my horizons a little bit, and hey, if you don't know something, google it! LOL!

According to Wikipedia:
Chili con carne (often known simply as chili) is a spicy stew. The name "chili con carne" is taken from Spanish, and means "peppers with meat." Traditional versions are made, minimally, from chili peppers, garlic, onions, and cumin, along with chopped or ground beef. Beans and tomatoes are frequently included.

Hmm, I think somewhere in my mind I knew that Chili was a Mexican dish, but for some reason, I was having a full mental moment. I don't have an actual recipe for this dish. This is one that I have perfected over the years since I am a chili-lovin' gal. So this is a true "original," as in coming straight from my kitchen to yours. Hope you enjoy it.

Ingredients
1 lb lean ground beef
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 cup chopped medium yellow onion
1/2 chopped green bell pepper
4 cans kidney beans - rinsed
8 oz. can tomato sauce
10 oz. can Rotel tomatoes - undrained
2 packages McCormick Mild Chili seasoning (can use hot-your preference)
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp olive oil
4 cups water - can add more or less depending on how thick you want your chili
shredded cheese (optional)
sour cream (optional)

Directions
  1. Heat olive oil in non-stick skillet.
  2. Cook garlic, bell pepper and onions in oil until tender.
  3. Add ground beef and ground turkey.
  4. While meat is browning, heat water in large pot.
  5. Open cans of beans. Rinse well and dump in pot.
  6. Add Rotel tomatoes and tomato sauce.
  7. Add McCormick Chili seasonings, cumin, brown sugar and chili powder. Stir well to combine.
  8. Heat to boiling. Stir occasionally.
  9. When meat is completely cooked, drain fat and add to beans. Stir well to combine.
  10. Lower temperature on stove, cover pot and simmer for 30 minutes.
  11. When done, add cheese and sour cream to garnish as desired.
  12. Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog List