Kesha's Kitchen Kreations

Kesha's Kitchen Kreations

Monday, January 17, 2011

KITCHEN KREATIONS: Louisiana Crunch Cake


This weekend, I decided to try my hand at baking. It's sad to say that I have never made a cake from scratch, but there it is. So anyway, I saw this video on YouTube where these girls were making this delicious-looking cake. Here's their original video, titled "Cookin' with the Twins: Homemade Louisiana Crunch Cake From Scratch"...

I saw the video and thought that it looked pretty easy to make, so I decided to try my hand at it. I only changed one thing in the recipe. I switched the almond flavoring in the Vanilla Glaze to lemon flavoring. Everything else was the same. I had to use the mouth-watering picture from their blog because let's just say that my cake did not come out looking like that.
Care to see a picture? I promise it will make you laugh out loud...

Now, look at the twins' cake, now look at mine... Notice anything different???
And yes, as you can see, I did go ahead and put icing on that broken-down thing!
LOL!!!

Apparently, I didn't bother to read the line in the directions that CLEARLY states to let the cake cool. As soon as I tried to flip it, it fell apart and I knew immediately that I should have let it cool. Hmmm... One of those Homer Simpson moments, where I was like, "Doh!"
I'm not even sure why I didn't bother to wait for it to cool. Guess I was just a little bit anxious, with it being my first cake from scratch and all.

LOL-I swear, every time I look at that picture it cracks me up!

So anyway, here are the directions and ingredients for this Louisiana Crunch cake. Even with it being ugly as sin, it still tasted delicious!
Hope you try the recipe and be sure to let me know how it comes out! Oh yeah, it helps to watch the video too because the alternating between the buttermilk and the dry ingredients was a little confusing when reading, but was easy enough to do after watching the video.

Cake Ingredients:
3 c. cake flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 c. granulated sugar
1 c. (2 sticks) butter...softened
1/2 c. sour cream
4 large eggs...room temp.
1 c. buttermilk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 c. white granulated sugar
1/4 c. sweetened coconut flakes

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees...Have a non stick tube cake pan ready.
In a medium bowl sift together cake flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda...Set aside.
Beat softened butter and sugar together until very fluffy (about 5 minutes).
Mix in sour cream.
Add eggs one at a time and beat until mixture becomes light and fluffy.
Mix in vanilla extract.
Add in buttermilk and the cake flour mixture in alternates and beat until fully combined.
PLEASE DO NOT OVER BEAT OTHERWISE CAKE IS GOING TO BECOME ROCK HARD!!!
Thoroughly grease a non stick tube pan. If your pan in not a non stick pan, you will need to grease and flour it.
Add approx 1/4 cup of granulated sugar to the pan, and tap around the sides and bottom until evenly coated.
(Optional) Sprinkle coconut flakes on the bottom of pan...You may add more or less coconut, its totally up to you.
Pour in batter.
Bake for 50 minutes to an hour, or until a wooden skewer inserted into cake comes out clean. DO NOT OVER BAKE!!!!! Otherwise cake will become dry.
Once cake is finished baking, remove from pan and let cool.

Vanilla Lemon Glaze:
2 c. powdered sugar
4 tbs. butter...melted
4 tbs. canned evaporated milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. lemon extract

Directions:
Whisk together powdered sugar butter and milk.
Add vanilla extract and lemon extract and mix.
Drizzle glaze over cake and let set for 10 minutes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sometimes, baking isn't as easy as it looks. Nor is it as fast to make compare to eating it. It really takes time and patience to practice and perfect. I've had a couple of tries baking pastries this past holiday and I got a bit frustrated making them whenever I failed because 1) it was a waste of ingredients and 2) I can't give those hard but supposedly-chewy pastries to my friends. But in the end, it was worth it and rewarding when my friends told me they loved it. I hope you get to perfect your Louisiana crunch cake soon too!

Lawrie Brinkerhoff

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog List